by Nancy Noble, MHS archivist/cataloger
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was a public work relief program that operated from 1933 to 1942 in the United States for unemployed, unmarried men from relief families, age 17-23. One of these camps was located in Princeton, Maine: Company 192.
We recently received a wonderful newsletter, the Far East Forester, which gives evidence to this period of time. The library owns v. 1, no. 12 (Feb. 21, 1935); v. 2, no. 11 (August 1, 1935); v. 4, no. 7 (June 1936); v. 4, no. 9 (August 1936), enough to give us a picture of camp life.
Advertising itself as “The most eastern camp in the United States,” the newsletter includes poetry, “hospital notes,’ “kitchen kolum,” “Far East Liars’ Club, and “Barracks two news.” This newsletter is a nice complement to a small manuscript collection (Coll. S-5669), which includes printed and materials which belonged to Clifton E. Foss of Manset, Maine, who was at the Princeton Camp until 1942, when he was discharged.
The Far East Forester is reminiscent of other similar newsletters for Quoddy Village, which was built to house and support workers for the federally funded Passamaquoddy Tidal Power Project. After the project ended in the mid-1930s, the village was used by the National Youth Administration and then as a military training base during World War II. The newsletter published by the Junior Workers of Quoddy Village, The Pioneer, was published around 1937, and a later newsletter, The Eagle, also published by the “Quoddy youth” was published around 1938-1940.
Thanks to these interesting newsletters, we can get a good picture of what was happening during the Depression in Maine, specifically in New Deal programs.