It’s that time of year! The Magical History Tour—the biggest and most fantastic of Maine Historical Society events—is taking place Saturday, May 13 from 10am-4pm. This year’s exploration of historical gems that are usually closed to the public will celebrate Portland’s creative legacy—a rich history of art, entertainment, and architecture. The locations are kept top secret until the night before as they’re revealed at Mr. Longfellow’s Cocktail Party on Friday, May 12 at the State Theatre.
During the party, auctioneer Thomas Saturley, President of Tranzon Auction Properties, will preside over a dazzling live auction—consult the list below and get your bids in a row! Check back for updates as the list grows. Guests at the Party will also enjoy a silent auction featuring food, travel, games, and adventures, scrumptious light fare including a complimentary signature cocktail, and a full cash bar available throughout the evening. Mr. Longfellow’s Cocktail Party promises to be a night to remember.
Longfellow 1913 Rolls Royce Car Ride & Museum Membership ($500)
Enjoy a ride in Maine history! This 1913 Rolls Royce was originally owned by Alice Mary Longfellow, daughter of poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. She is known as “grave Alice” from her father’s poem “The Children’s Hour.” This fabulous vehicle is now in the collections of the Owl’s Head Transportation Museum—and you have a chance to ride in it! Bring three friends and let the OHTM staff take you for a ride around Portland on May 13, or make an appointment to visit Owl’s Head one day this summer for a ride along the coast!
Exclusive MHS Artifact Viewing Party ($3,500)
MHS Director of Library Services Jamie Rice is pulling out the big guns, including our very rare copy of the Dunlap Broadside of the Declaration of Independence. Get your history-loving friends together for an experience guaranteed to amaze! Good for six people.
Sugarloaf Summer Vacation ($796)
Sugarloaf may be renowned for its winter adventures, but the splendor of Carrabassett Valley in summer is no less stunning. Included in this package is a golf adventure, and a scenic flight from Sugarloaf Aviation offering unmatched perspectives of this amazingly rugged part of Maine.
Sea Dogs First Pitch & 1/2 Inning on the Radio ($200)
Throw out a ceremonial first pitch at a Sea Dogs game of your choice! The package includes four Box Seat tickets, and a half-inning on the radio during the broadcast.
Two L.L.Bean Adirondack Chairs ($600)
Tougher and more resilient than treated wood, the HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) used to build these Adirondacks is made partially from recycled materials. Heavy enough to withstand winds and unaffected by wet weather and extreme temperatures, this pair of chairs will stay in place without rotting, warping, cracking, splintering or ever needing to be painted—even if you leave it outside all year-round.
Silent Auction Items include:
- Sea kayak tour to Fort Gorges with Portland Paddle ($104)
- Press Hotel two-night stay and breakfast for two at Union ($850)
- Float Harder sensory deprivation relaxation experience ($65)
- Cellardoor wine pairing ($300)
- Maine Brew Bus adventure ($150)
- Tickets to Portland Stage ($86)
- Private wine tasting ($200)
- Luggage from TripQuipment ($550)
- One-week summer camp experience at Circus Maine for kids ($350)
- Personal trainer sessions with Susan Naber ($300)
- Stay at Claybrook Mountain Lodge ($220)
- Tickets (2) to a show of your choice at the State Theatre ($75)
- Custom-made bag by Margaret Hourigan ($100)
- Dinner for four with personal chef Sue Ellen Sevigny ($300)
- Porcelain cups (2) by Ayumi Horie ($225 & $150)
- Longfellow Lilacs (2) ($100 each)
- Skillins gift certificate ($50)
- Fogg Lighting gift card ($150)
- … and more!